Suunto Ambit Silver + Heart Rate Monitor
The Suunto AMBIT (with heart rate monitor transmitter strap) is what every backcountry skier, hiker, trail runner and mountain climber has been eagerly waiting for. The Suunto Ambit is a watch that combines a GPS navigation system, altimeter, 3D compass with advanced heart rate monitoring into a robust instrument for mountain and everyday use.
Suunto Ambit Silver (HR): SS018371000
Suunto AMBIT GPS watch (in Silver with Heart Rate)
The Suunto Ambit GPS watch (in silver) comes with the ANT heart rate monitor chest transmitter with digital transmission that eliminates any interference - it is also compatible with the Suunto Dual belt.
Tristan's opinion (BHIP Ltd Director) - Favourite Feature of the Suunto Ambit ... after just one session with the Suunto Ambit, we discovered a very useful feature. At the end of a session, in the exercise review summary, the user is presented with a Peak Training Effect figure, from 1 - 5, and very usefully, a RECOVERY feature, telling the user how many hours it will be until fully recovered.
NEW Suunto Ambit 2 available now - view all models here
The Suunto Ambit is a very capable ABC watch (alitmeter, barometer, compass watch) with optional heart rate monitor. The Suunto Ambit is for the outdoor lover, someone who doesn't spend too much time in the gym, but spends most the time on the Piste, orienteering, mountaineering or trail running. The Suunto Ambit owner wants to know how far, how fast, how hard and how to get back home. The Suunto Ambit is a wristworn GPS navigator and competes with the Garmin Fenix in this highly technical product group. The Suunto Ambit can be loaded with predefined waypoints and routes generated on Suunto Movescount website. You will never be lost again as you calmly navigate from point to point.
In summary the Suunto Ambit has an altimeter, barometer (for keeping an eye on the weather) a digital compass to get you from A to B, a GPS with the ability to support waypoint to waypoint navigation and a simple GET ME HOME option (as the crow flies) plus an optional heart rate monitor to make sure you don't push too hard.
- UPDATE : Suunto Ambit GPS Firmware Update. As from Nov 29th 2012 you can upgrade the firmware of your Suunto Ambit to Version 2.0.x. This new firmware added 4 key features including :
- 1) Suunto Ambit ANT+ generic support. No longer is the Suunto Ambit locked to Suunto’s own ANT, you can now use 3rd party ANT+ accessories like heart rate monitor belts, bike speed sensors and cadence sensors.
- 2) The Suunto Ambit now has proper interval training. The user can set 2 x intervals, either time based or distance based. Then set how many times you want these intervals to repeat. The Ambit will now take you through your interval session.
- 3) Foot Pod support. The Suunto Ambit can now support any ANT+ foot pod. This means you can use it indoors on the treadmill for accurate speed and distancde training. As it now uses ANT+ you can use any brand of ANT+ foot pod, Garmin, CardioSport, Wahoo Fitness etc. ANT+ accessories
- 4) Suunto APPS. Users can now create their own APPS in Movescount and upload them to their Suunto Ambit. These APPS are then shared with other users. There are APPS to tell you what your predicted marathon finish time would be if you continued at current pace for 26.2 miles, there is an APP to count how many times you run up a certain hill while fell running hill intervals.. if you can’t find a suitable APP, write one with the Suunto APP developer. View Suunto APPs video or have a look at the current Suunto APPS available
ALL the Suunto Ambit we sell have been updated to version 2.0.x firmware (latest at time of shipping)
From the testing of the Suunto Ambit done to date, we can say the following. The Suunto Ambit has some very impressive features. Some of the key functions/features that impressed us most are :
- Speed to locate satellites.... only 5 seconds outside. Our Suunto Ambit GPS heart rate monitor located satellites in 30 seconds.. INSIDE the office - it is that sensitive
- Smoothness of the running pace / cycling speed due to the combination of GPS and internal accelerometers (the Suunto Ambit uses : Suunto FuseSpeed)
- Ease of use - simple - no manual required. All testing we have done so far with the Suunto Ambit has been without reference to the manual (OK, we do have some knowlege of Suunto products, but operating the Suunto Ambit is very logical)
- Navigational process when navigating back to a waypoint - very precise utilising both the internal digital compass and the Suunto Ambit's GPS
- Route planning and route sharing. Plan your route on Movescount and upload it to the Suunto Ambit. Or download a friends route from Movescount to your Suunto Ambit.
- Manually add Waypoints. Using Movescount online service, the user can MANUALLY add a Waypoint to navigate to. The User can store 100 waypoints in theSuunto Ambit. Waypoints can be added in RAW HH:MM:SS format, or by clicking on a map
- Export map data from Movescount. The User can export GPS track from Movescount to either XML (GoogleEarth) or GPX format (Sportstracklive etc)
- Suunto Ambit customised user screens. For each "sport" - the user can define up to 8 screens in your Suunto Ambit GPS. Each screen can be 1 - 3 lines of data
- The Suunto Ambit GPS heart rate monitor will support both the Suunto bike speed pod and Suunto pedal cadence pod
- Toggle the display - we like this.... you can toggle between the Suunto Ambit's black background with grey digits, or grey digits on black background
Exercise sessions are selected by a user defined "sport type" - ie "mountain biking". Movescount allows the user to set the Suunto Ambit's screen views for each sport type. For example, in "mountain biking" we might want distance on top, heart rate in the middle, with altimeter, speed and time of day as toggle options for the third line. This is simply defined online via Movescount, then uploaded to the Suunto Ambit.
In summary - so far, so good. The Suunto Ambit is a very good GPS sports watch for runners, orienteers, mountain bikers. It's biggest PLUS point over the competition... BATTERY life is a very good, and dependent on your sample rate (selected by you, by sport type):
- Outdoor mode 50h - with longer GPS tracking interval, suitable for e.g hiking
- Training mode 15h - with shorter GPS tracking interval, suitable for e.g running
- Watch mode 30 days - watch mode including ABC functions
Route creation and navigation based on waypoints : You can create a route based on individual waypoints in Movescount.com. Download the route to your Suunto Ambit and navigate through it waypoint by waypoint. The Suunto Ambit notifies you when you have reached a waypoint and guides you to the next
- Enhanced navigation by showing the name of the waypoint you are heading towards
- Points of Interest (POIs) : In addition to route navigation, you can still create individual Points Of Interest and navigate to them with your Suunto Ambit
- POIs can be added manually independent of your location. Stored POIs are categorised according to type, making it easier to search POIs in a list.
- Suunto Ambit Logbook : You can view and examine all your previous sessions stored in the Suunto Ambit GPS heart rate monitor
- Find Back : With the Find Back feature of the Suunto Ambit GPS, you can always navigate right back to where you started
Better views : Compass and Navigation views are now accessible also in exercising mode. This means that while in Training mode views, the user can switch the Suunto Ambit in to Compass or Navigation mode.
GPS chip software improvements : Thanks to smart software optimisation (free online firmware updates) the GPS modules within the Suunto Ambit finds satellites even faster than before
Suunto Ambit GPS with FusedSpeed™ : for highly accurate speed monitoring. The Suunto Ambit GPS introduces a new, patent-pending technology for speed readings called FusedSpeed™. The speed indication is a unique combination of GPS and acceleration sensor readings. The Suunto Ambit's GPS signal is adaptively filtered based on acceleration, giving a more accurate reading at steady speeds and a quicker response to changes in speed.
Monitor : Peak Training Effect with your Suunto Ambit GPS. To better reflect the meaning of the Training Effect measurement, Suunto has renamed the measurement toSuunto Peak Training Effect (PTE). PTE indicates the impact of a training session on your maximum aerobic performance and is most accurate with medium and high intensity training. The measurement is relative to your current fitness level. The fitter you are, the harder you have to work to reach a higher PTE. Your Suunto Ambit will help you make sure you are not OVER or UNDER training.
Check : Recovery Time with your Suunto Ambit. Recovery Time is an estimate of how long your body needs to recuperate after training. The Suunto AMBIT will give you the time which is based on the duration and intensity of the session, as well as the overall fatigue, accumulating even at lower intensities. Recovery Time accumulates from one session to the next if you train again before the time has expired.
3D Compass. With a conventional compass, you need to hold the compass level to the horizon to get an accurate reading. The Suunto Ambit's 3D compasses compensate for tilt, allowing you to get a reading regardless of the angle of your wrist.
Suunto Ambit as an Altimeter. Your Suunto Ambit will determine your current elevation, track your ascent or descent, and gauge your overall progress on a climb – ideal for mountaineers, skiers, and wilderness travelers.
Suunto Ambit as a Barometer : Suunto Ambit will watch the weather. Forecast sudden alterations in the weather by keeping a close eye on the air pressure – and take the necessary precautions to help make your journey safe and successful. The Suunto Ambit has been designed by outdoor people for outdoor people, genuine and useful functions - no GIMMICKS.
Suunto Ambit with "BuiltToLast casing". Suunto products with BuiltToLast casing have a robust, one-piece composite case with stiff top bezel. The anodised aluminum case and mineral glass display are designed to withstand mechanical shocks and scratching.
Upload from Suunto Ambit : Computer connectivity / Movescount.com. The Suunto Ambit will add a new dimension to your next adventure with the online sports community Movescount.com. Make your moves and share them online with like minded friends. Great to showcase your experiences in the wilderness. Upload your moves directly from your Suunto Ambit with a cable. Suunto Ambit software can be upgraded through Movescount.com.
Movescount.com offers Suunto Ambit users :
- Suunto Ambit has upgradeable firmware
- In depth training analysis
- Summaries to follow your progress
- Planning tool to create new waypoints in your Suunto Ambit
- Versatile sharing options
- Customizeable settings - see what you want to see in your Suunto Ambit
- Training diary
Suunto Ambit - monitoring your Heart Rate. Use the Suunto Ambit's altimeter and heart rate functions together to know how your heart rate reacts to different altitudes, and easily find your ideal hiking pace.
Integrated GPS. The integrated GPS used in watches such as Suunto Ambit is based on the SiRFstarIV technology. The receiver has a very high sensitivity. This helps the Ambit to find GPS satellites much quicker and get steadier readings.
Suunto AMBIT GPS ~ Specialized Outdoor functions:
- Full-featured GPS (SiRFIV chip)
- 3D Compass
- Barometric altitude
- Waypoint –navigation with GPS
- Waypoint creation and storing in watch and in Movescount.com
- Location in multiple coordinate systems
Suunto AMBIT GPS ~ Advanced Training functions:
- Highly responsive pace / speed (FusedSpeed™) and distance from accelerometer integrated GPS
- Peak Training Effect & Recovery Time*
- Manual and autolaps
- Heart rate graph in real time
- Heart rate limits
- Heart rate zones in Movescount.com
- Track logging and analysis in Movescount.com
Suunto AMBIT GPS ~ Mountain and everyday exploration:
- Suunto Ambit has a Mineral crystal lens
- The Suunto Ambit is Water resistant to 100 m / 328 ft (ISO 2281)
- Light / dark display switch
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- User adjustable backlight
- Robust BuiltToLast casing
- Change the Suunto Ambit's settings in Movescount.com
- Upgradeable with new functionalities through Movescount.com
What's In The Suunto Ambit Box?
- Suunto Ambit SILVER GPS watch
- Suunto ANT Heart Rate Monitor Chest Transmitter
- Charging/PC Download Clip
- Suunto Ambit heart rate monitor "Quick Start Guide"
More Suunto ABC watches and Heart Rate Monitors
|Watch/Unit Dimensions||5 x 7 x 1.5 cm|
|Time of Day||Yes|
|Chronograph / Stopwatch||Yes|
|Heart Rate Monitor||Yes - chest strap included|
|Show percent of max HR||Yes|
|Time Spent in HR Training Zone(s)||Yes|
|heart rate alarms||Yes|
|Distance measured||Yes - via GPS or with optional Foot Pod or Bike Pod|
|Running Pace||Yes - via GPS or with optional Foot Pod|
|Pace / Speed alarms||No|
|Realtime Speed||Yes - via GPS or with optional Foot Pod or Bike Pod|
|Pedal Cadence||Yes - with optional Bike Pod|
|Swimetrics - swimming data||No|
|Training Load / Training Effect||Yes - real-time on unit & on PC download|
|Coaching / Training Programme||No|
|Resting heart rate / fitness test||No|
|Time left before recovered||Yes - displayed in watch|
|Heart Rate recovery timer||No|
|PC / Mac upload||Yes - PC & Mac|
|Level of PC download data||Full details - graphs and summaries including lap data|
|Session memory in watch||Max. 16 hours (total or split) when set at 1 sec interval, 10 sec interval will be longer|
|HR Variability R-R recording||Yes|
|Transmission system||Suunto ANT|
|GPS Altimeter||Altitude via Barometric Sensor|
|Virtual Partner / Pacing feature||Yes - via Suunto Apps|
|Number of GPS tracks||As per session memory|
|Number of Waypoints||100|
|Plan / Follow GPS routes?||Yes|
|GPS Pod Dimensions||N/A|
|Water Resistancy||Yes - 100m|
|Battery Type in Watch/Unit||Sealed - rechargeable|
|Battery Life in Watch/Unit||Please see main description|
|Chest Transmitter Battery||Coincell - self change|
|Warranty||24 months - return to Suunto|